Wednesday, January 2, 2008

News Filter: Glamourpuss

  • I know this is a completely whacked out way to make my first post of the year, but there is no way I can pass this up. Dave Sim of Cerebus fame (yes, that Dave Sim) is writing a new comic book. And not just any comic book, this comic is about fashion. Fashion of all things! Is the man crazy?

  • There are those who think he's bad-shit insane, what with the misogyny and the erratic behavior, but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean, who in the world is the audience for this besides Dave Sim?

  • Strangely enough, it could be me. As strange as the beliefs of Dave Sim are, I actually liked Cerebus right up to the end. I admit that couldn't read all the text bits in Reads and there was no way I was reading his updated Bible in Latter Days if I can't get through the real thing. But I really liked it.

  • So I'm going to go out on a limb and pick up a copy of Glamourpuss, goofy-ass name or not. It might end up being a train wreck, but I want to be there when it happens.

2 comments:

  1. "the misogyny and the erratic behavior"

    Which misogyny and erratic behaviour is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm loathe to dredge up old news to support a comment I made mostly tongue-in-cheek, I might as well lay out my cards.

    The misogyny charge mostly stems from the textual portion of Reads, the ninth volume of the Cerebus collection, and from Tangent, printed in the back matter of Cerebus single issues and freely available online. While I would not go so far as to label any of this misogyny myself, there are those that take deep offense at his sentiments.

    As far as erratic behavior, I'm mostly going on the (ongoing?) discussion of the dispute with Jeff Smith of Bone fame. I couldn't believe that I read a recent internet post by Sim wherein he referenced something that originally took place back while the monthly series was still running. Whether he was provoked into defending himself again, I'm not sure as there was no context for this new remark.

    My problem with all this is not that I think Sim is completely out of line to have opinions of any sort; my problem is that through his actions, Sim has become the story and not his work. Cerebus is probably one of the best comics available and I'm really looking forward to this new series. But I wish that it were easier to read these without all the attendant baggage.

    ReplyDelete