Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Played Lately: Warhammer Online

  • Syncaine over at Hardcore Casual had a great post up about Public Quests in Warhammer Online. For those of you who are allergic to hyperlinks (there's drugs for that, you know), Mr. Impact PVP tells us that Public Quests should be viewed as the evolution of group quests and as such they are quite a success.
  • As much as I hate to admit it, Syncaine has brought me around on this. I was getting ready to whine and carry on about how PQs didn't live up to my outrageously high expectation. I might also have offered some half-baked suggestions to fix them by dynamically scaling the encounters based on local populations. But that would have all been missing the point. I never did group quests in WoW. I'm an avid solo player so group quests were an annoyance to me. In WAR, I love public quests and I go out of my way to participate when I can and I have a lot of fun. They're the same thing, but WAR has changed the way I play the game. That is 100% better than before so I'm going to stop complaining.
  • In other news, Mythic has decided to make me look like a fool by hiding their patches from me by calling them Hot Fixes. I burn with a rage that only Khaine can fathom. Also, a deep, deep shame.

2 comments:

  1. Just to comment quickly, I actually think scaling the PQs would be a good idea, but limit the low end of the scale to say 3 (so it's still a group thing), and the upper to say 12 (so you can't over-farm them by using a zerg)

    Increase the rewards to favor more people participating, while still being nice and flexible with it so you don't HAVE to have x number of people or this/that class.

    But considering PQs are, for the most part, a totally new thing in MMO land, I would say Mythic has delivered a damn good version 1.0 of PQs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping in, Syncaine. You're now officially my favorite MMO blogger (Take that, Michael Zenke!) Your suggestions are pretty good and I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like this implimented within six months.

    ReplyDelete