Friday, April 24, 2009

Read Lately: The Burglar In The Closet by Lawrence Block

  • You have to be careful what you say around my house. For instance, I told my wife that I enjoyed the first book in Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series and that it was good enough that I would be interested in reading more. A couple days later, the next book in the series, The Burglar In The Closet, appeared on my desk. While others might think "What a wonderful gift," I knew the truth. Words are dangerous and I would have to guard mine less I end up with too many books to read. Luckily, this was a perfect gift for me.

  • In this second novel, Bernie is in the worst situation that anyone can find themselves: in a dentist's chair. When this dentist proposes Bernie commit a very specific burglary, well, would you argue with a man holding a drill to your teeth? As in the first novel people end up dead fast and Bernie has to clear his name.

  • Once again, Lawrence Block has produced a fun and fast mystery. This time, The Burglar In The Closet benefits from its second in the series position. It's both better written and much funnier. The ending, while still convoluted, is nowhere near as silly as the first book.

  • Anyone who likes crime or mystery fiction would find something to enjoy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment