- After finishing all of the warm-up quests, I stand on the heli-pad next to the transport to Vibora Bay. Arcfire has just learned that she has been duped into collecting a number of mystical artifacts that will bring about an apocalypse. Her only choice is to travel to Vibora Bay and put right the mess she has made. And yet, I find myself unable to click the button that would allow me to travel to this great new zone.
- This is a common occurance for me. I find a good break point, tell myself that I'm perfectly placed to pick up from here, and then I stop playing the game completely. Some of that is the game failing to give me a reason to continue. If I found such a good stopping point, that's because the game has come to a screeching halt. That's one of the main reasons I've stopped playing so many console games in the past.
- The other reason this happens for me, though much less rarely, is that sometimes I don't want the game to end. I know that once I finish all the content, the game will be over for me and I can't go back any more. As long as there is unfinished content, I still have a tie to that virtual world.
- And that is the reason I haven't gone back to Champions. Once I enter Vibora Bay, the end of the game is in sight. As long as I deny myself access, there is something for me to look forward to. Strange, I know, but I'm a strange person.
- I won't be able to stay away forever, though. I'm really curious about what's on the other side of that "Travel To..." button.
© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.