Thursday, April 1, 2010

Played Lately: Champions Online

  • After finishing all of the warm-up quests, I stand on the heli-pad next to the transport to Vibora Bay. Arcfire has just learned that she has been duped into collecting a number of mystical artifacts that will bring about an apocalypse. Her only choice is to travel to Vibora Bay and put right the mess she has made. And yet, I find myself unable to click the button that would allow me to travel to this great new zone.

  • This is a common occurance for me. I find a good break point, tell myself that I'm perfectly placed to pick up from here, and then I stop playing the game completely. Some of that is the game failing to give me a reason to continue. If I found such a good stopping point, that's because the game has come to a screeching halt. That's one of the main reasons I've stopped playing so many console games in the past.

  • The other reason this happens for me, though much less rarely, is that sometimes I don't want the game to end. I know that once I finish all the content, the game will be over for me and I can't go back any more. As long as there is unfinished content, I still have a tie to that virtual world.

  • And that is the reason I haven't gone back to Champions. Once I enter Vibora Bay, the end of the game is in sight. As long as I deny myself access, there is something for me to look forward to. Strange, I know, but I'm a strange person.

  • I won't be able to stay away forever, though. I'm really curious about what's on the other side of that "Travel To..." button.


© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. You should at least do the crisis zone before taking a break. It's very very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stopping points in games usually occur do to a frustration I can't surmount. A boss battle I lose patience with, some area that's so large and intricate that I can't figure out where to go, or some challenge I just can't overcome. I used to weather through stuff like that when I was younger, but these days life just seems too short.

    Sounds like you are seriously enjoying your time in CO, in any case :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Blue Kae - That's good to hear. My MMO funk can't last forever, so it's good to have something to look forward to.

    @ Yeebo - I run into that too, but not nearly as often. Either I don't play games where I'm going to get stuck that often or I play on Easy mode. :)

    ReplyDelete