- So, EQ2 finally fell in line. From a story found on Massively, by way of Ardwulf's Lair, we learn the SOE is trying to bolster the numbers of their flagging flagship MMO by adding free-to-pay servers alongside the traditional subscription servers. They even put out a handy chart that looks an awful lot like the one Turbine released for Lords of the Rings Online.
- F2P is the new black. Everyone wants a piece. But is it really going to be good for these games? Looking at those charts makes my head spin. Choosing the right payment plan shouldn't be as complicated as choosing the right life insurance policy.
- For now, I take a wait-and-see attitude. Green Armadillo, who was until recently enjoying Runes of Magic, has run up against the design speed bumps required to make the item shop work. Is that what we have to look forward to from these previously triple-A titles? I have to admit that I haven't had much luck with F2P games because the game designs feel so dishonest. Not that subscription games can't string you along just to squeeze another month out of you. But that's not so blatant as selling you an XP potion to speed you past content gaps.
- For an additional take, check out Jayedub's post at Dub's Diatribe. There is a lot I agree with there. As I commented on his post, F2P will be good for people for whom money was the only issue for them not playing. It doesn't make an unattractive game better, and it doesn't help the people who already liked the game enough to pay for the subscription.
- In other news, Blizzard has installed a new swimming pool at their headquarters. However due concerns about saving water, they filled the pool with money instead.
© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.