- Sometimes, I just want to whack bad guys on the head. A lot of games out there are great with the story and the words, but there is something satisfying about interacting with everything in the game with your sword. Thankfully, DeathSpank does that really well.
- DeathSpank is an action RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Your hero, the titular DeathSpank, is on a quest to find an artifact of some sort. Because that's what heroes do, evidently. There is a lot of stuff in the game like that. Hothead, the game's developer, play the games story for parody, while at the same time keeping the game systems really tight. It plays well and is easy to comprehend.
- One nice aspect is that there are few hard gates on the content. Instead, zones are soft gated by level differences. That gives you a lot of freedom to explore quests as you run across them. But it can also let you chase down a much too difficult rabbit hole when there might be quests better suited for your level.
- It took me a few days to get through the game. I enjoyed my time playing, but I did need to take breaks now and again. There were several instances where I was happily bashing my way through enemies when I was suddenly receiving the low health warning. Or even worse, several monsters are can one or two shot you without blinking.
- It's not the most amazing game released, but DeathSpank was a lot of fun and a good way to spend my gaming time.
© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.