Friday, February 4, 2011

Random Shots: Distracted

  • I find my attention wandering more than usual lately. The urge to game just isn't there. Except for web browsing and the occasional round of Zen Of Sudoku, I most I've used my computer for is to watch Fringe on DVD. There could be any number of reasons, but I'm going to blame it on all of the packing my wife and I have done recently. Looking through all of the things that I have accumulated over the years has left me in a melancholy mood about games not of the electronic variety.

  • One of the things I've been thinking about is gamebooks. Just a couple days ago, Dave Morris posted on his Fabled Lands blog about a new gamebook being released, DestinyQuest: The Legion of Shadow. Where Fabled Lands had opened up the game world to exploration, DestinyQuest seems to draw inspiration from modern RPGs and MMOs by offering various quests to choose from. It was a little on the expensive side (as Blue Kae will attest), but I'm looking forward to seeing someone push the gamebook field forward.

  • I also packed up a far number of RPG and miniature rule books. I have several miniatures, painted and unpainted, sitting on my shelves collecting dust. One of the books I found was AK47 Republic, a beer-and-pretzels minis game set to post-colonial Africa. Each player takes the role of a faction from a fictional country and clash over their chosen objectives. The funny part of the game is that it encourages role-playing on your faction amusing ways. I doubt I'll ever play a game (it sits on my shelf right next to Fire and Fury, but I'm glad I own it.

  • For a couple different reasons, I've ended up staring at BoardGameGeek a lot more than usual. One of the games that I've been reading about is Android from Fantasy Flight Games. Set in the near future, players take on the role of detectives investigating a murder in the cities of New Angeles and the Heinlein moon colony. It is a very theme and story based game (one of the reasons I was drawn to Tales of the Arabian Nights) where the journey may be more important than the destination. There is a mystery to solve, a conspiricy to uncover, and your character's personal story to deal with all within the two weeks the game lasts. I put in a bid on the game for a charity auction on BGG, partly because I want to help out and partly because I'm really interested in the game. Now to see if I can con anyone into playing with me.

  • Most of all, I've been feeling nostalgic for the days of yore when I had more time for big sprawling games like these. While I may not play as much anymore, it feels nice to be surrounded by such games and memories.


© 2011 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I now suddenly have a critical mass of acquaintances in town that are all in to board games. We are getting together about once a week, and I'm really enjoying catching up on some of the newer games. It's been years since I've had more than one or two friends that were gamers in the same town as me. Cardassian, Settlers, Battle Star Galactica, Killer Bunnies, We Didn't Playtest this Game, and Bang all in the last few weeks. I think we are playing the Sim City card game the next time we get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Yeebo - That sounds wonderful. Hope you have having a great time.

    ReplyDelete