Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Random Shots: Many Games, Little Time

  • I am now two weeks into my bonding time with my new daughter. Amazingly enough, she has only required 99% of my attention. The rest of the time I've actually been able to play some games. Yes, some of that is Zen of Sudoku because I can play it one handed. But in those rare instances that I have two hands free, I've been squeezing in as much gaming into fifteen and twenty minute blocks as I can.

  • LA Noire - The big console release of the moment, I've been looking forward to LA Noire since I first heard of it and I'm not disappointed. I enjoy the investigations, as well as the occasional opportunity to chase dudes and shoot them. I am, like many people, having trouble with the interrogations. But I like messing them up just as much as I like figuring them out. When I eventually finish (and it will be eventually at this point) I'm looking forward to going back to try various cases again to see how they might have played out differently.

  • Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance - When we set up the loft in our new house, one of my goals was to turn my corner into a retro console station. So with my NES, PS2, and Xbox all set up, I decided to pop in an older game that I haven't played in a long while. In this case, it was Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. It's amazing how well the game holds up, especially compared to modern versions like none too impressive Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale. I didn't get too far into it yet, but it was nice to remember how great it was.

  • World of Warcraft - I finally redeemed my free seven days to return to WoW. It is amazing how much I missed that game. Since I abandoned my mage at the launch of Cataclysm in favor of my paladin, I decided to go back to her and see some of the what I missed before. In this case, I took Ashlynh to Vashj'ir, the underwater zone. Although I was expecting some vast, oceanic wasteland, Vashj'ir is a tightly focused and dense zone. In other words, just like a new WoW zone. I'm not sure why I was expecting different. This is a good thing, though, since these tight zones are Blizzard's forte and I've really enjoyed my seven days. In fact, when I'm sure I have time, I will be resubscribing again.

  • Everquest II Extended - Speaking of returning to older games, I jumped back into EQ2X as soon as the servers came up to take advantage of the bonus experience week. Since I also temporarily have a gold level account, I pushed my AA slider over to 100% and hit up some alternate zones. I quickly wrapped up 12 AA points in the little time I had. I've read other people decrying how vast the game is, but I actually enjoy having so much to discover about the world. Maybe that's because I'm a seasoned player and it would be imposing to a neophyte, but those people aren't going to play anyway.

  • Rift - Actually, I haven't been playing Rift at all. In fact, I've cancelled my subscription. There is still a month to go in my ninety day sub, but I'm not sure I'll even be using them. I enjoy the game, but I have other things on my mind.

  • Champions Online - Speaking of which, I haven't been back to CO for too long. I haven't even tried the latest adventure pack, Resistance. However since the first comic series, Aftershock, is starting (tomorrow?), I'm going to be correcting my error soon.

  • Star Trek Online - When I first tried STO, it didn't click for me. But then Steam put it on sale for $3.75, so I have to give it a second chance. I look forward to seeing all the changes that have happened over the last year.

  • Although, I haven't had a lot of time to play, you can see that I've been taking advantage of the time I have. What have you been up to lately?


© 2011 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. I recently cancelled my Rift subscription as well. That is not to say it's a bad game, it had me hooked for about two months. However, lately I just haven't had much urge to log.

    If I sub to anything, it may end up being CoH. I had an awful lot of fun during the free weekend.

    Lately I've been playing a lot of AoC (which you can read a long rambling post about if you care to).

    I've also been dabbling in DDO again. They added a full on crafting system that I have yet to figure out. The true real time combat is also a nice change of pace from most of the other MMOs I play.

    I'm also active in LoTRO again. I have a second age bow nearly maxed out, and all of the legacies on it are really good thanks to the new mix and match legacy system (which honestly is what should have been in place when MoM launched). I also have a Skirmish soldier close to maxed, he's becoming a real power house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grats on your new baby. I don't have one yet. But I often took care of my goddaughter when she was still a newborn. They really are time suckers.

    So, Daggerdale is no good then? I was planning to get that game after I'm finished with The Witcher 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Yeebo - We are definitely not lacking for game choices. No reason to pay for a game you aren't enjoying when you could be playing so many others.

    One of these days, I'll level up high enough to get a legendary. Someday, right?

    @ Skron - Thanks much. As for Daggerdale, you would be best to demo it first. It doesn't seem like a bad game, but the controls are squirrely compared to Dark Alliance and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like the last monkey in the Rift-bed... hope I don't fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also recently canceled my sub, with about 30 days left on it. don't hate the game, but don't love it either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Blue Kae - you are definitely not the last monkey in the Rift bed, you'll have to outlast me first!

    On topic, I'm loving L.A. Noire so far. Interrogations are also not my forte, I bumble through those in most cases. Still, it's fun as hell, and I'm just overall so impressed with the expressions on your interviewee's faces and how you have to "read" them to figure them out. The story and humor is something else too. I just wish I had more time to play it, my husband commandeers the Xbox for Fallout New Vegas these days.

    Glad you got STO from that sale. Seriously, $3.75 is a freakin' steal. I don't even care that much about the Steam exclusives, I'm just all over the free 30 days. For me, it's just like a super discount on my sub for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @GC I thought you were Guardian slumming though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Blue Kae - I doubt you'll be the last man out. I know plenty of people who are still enjoying themselves in the game.

    @ Hunter - I get that. I quite enjoy Rift, but it hasn't been terribly sticky.

    @ MMOGC - Sounds like you need to replace your RROD. You are worth it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Blue Kae - nope, still plugging away at the Defiant. I don't think I'll Guardian slum until the free transfers.

    @Anjin - I can't bring myself to get another Xbox. One's enough, really. The only reason we had two was because my husband had one and I had one when I was still up in Canada, and even mine was second hand. We've been buying a lot less Xbox games these days too.

    ReplyDelete