Monday, August 8, 2011

Random Shots: The Pile

  • If you play games, chances are that you have The Pile. Back when everything came on cartridges or disks, it would be a literal pile. Nowadays it maybe partially digital and spread over multiple platforms, but it's still there. It's that pile of unplayed games that mock you with their very existance. This list is off the top of my head, so there are likely two or three times as many that I don't remember or have given up all hope on.

  • L.A. Noire - I had been looking forward to this game for quiet some time. Then stuff got in the way and I haven't gone back. I believe that I'm a couple cases into the Homicide desk, so I have a lot of game ahead of me.

  • Pride of Nations - After hearing about the game on the Three Moves Ahead podcast, I decided to try out what sounded like a fascinating game. I got as far as buying and installing it during the Steam sale. And now the icon stares at me.

  • Dragon Quest IV - I love the Dragon Quest series and I've played serveral of them. But for some reason I'm stuck on DQIV. Even though it's on the DS and I have it available eighty percent of the time. I've played through all of the side chapters and I'm in the main part of the game. I just need to get my hero and his companions back to work.

  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 - I was really in the mood for a golf game this year, especially since it included The Masters for the first time. I got as far as playing the first round of the first tournament and I haven't been back. Ugh.

  • The Witcher 1 & 2 - I so want to try these games out. I played a little of the first game, but who has the time to sit down and play big RPGs like this. I might as well stick Drakensang here as long as I'm listing Eastern European RPGs. So many games!

  • Starcraft II - First, I wasn't going to play this. Then Blizzard put it on sale, so I gave it a shot. I'm playing on Easy, but I'm actually enjoying myself. At least, I was for the first four missions and I haven't been back. /sigh.

  • Panzer Corps - Although it's on the pile, Panzer Corps is the one game that I've actually been trying to play recently. I just finished the tutorial (after three sessions, it's so long) and I'll probably write about it soon. Now I just to try the real campaign.

  • It's a lucky thing that there are no good games coming out for a while so that I'm not tempted to add to the pile. If it were up to you, what would you play first? What games are on your pile?


© 2011 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. LOL at your list. I have a list like that too, and it has taught me that if I ever want to complete a game, I just HAVE to keep playing until I'm done. History has shown that me "taking a break" -- even with the best of intentions -- usually means I will probably never go back. Inevitably something newer always comes along and whatever I was playing before stays on the backburner forever :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ MMOGC - I'm really bad about that. Sometimes I like buying games more than I like playing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have both a literal pile (for Xbox games) and a digital pile. I hesitate to ever think about the number of Steam games I've bought, downloaded, and never launched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Blue Kae - Don't get me started on that part of the pile. I may weep.

    ReplyDelete