Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Random Shots: Two Years After The Fact

  • Torchlight has been out for almost two years now. That is a long time for any game, especially a single player game, to occupy so much real estate in my brainspace. I've enjoyed it now on two platforms and I'm really looking forward to the sequel. However, after all this time, I finally figured out that I have one nit to pick with the game.

  • Sending your pet back to town is useless.

  • I know that it's cute and it could be handy, but it is just not. There are a couple reasons why. First, town portals are plentiful and cheap. In every case where you might send your pet off, you are better off going yourself. Second, with new quest becoming available for every dungeon level, there are plenty of reasons to head back to town on a regular basis.

  • If Runic really wanted the system to work, they would give potent medium term buffs (five to ten minutes) make staying in the dungeon worthwhile. That way you have to weight the tradeoff of leaving the dungeon and having your buff expire versus sending your pet away and pressing on alone.

  • Yes, that is the one thing that bugs me about the game after all this time.

  • Enough complaining. Did everyone see that Torchlight 2 is going to be $20? I don't know if that price is crazy good or just crazy.


© 2011 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. If that's the only gripe you can muster, a fair game indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good deal for the sequel. My only complaint first one was no co-op or online play, so I'm stoked for Torchlight 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Torchlight 2 is only 20 bucks?

    I am on that like white on rice.

    Also, I am clearly a cheapskate. >_>;

    That being said, I found the pet thing to be useful. Most likely because I never bothered with the quests and just liked plowing through and seeing how far into the dungeon I could get before being bludgeoned by Skeletor or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Yeebo - I really do like it that much.

    @ Blue Kae - Torchlight 2 does sound like everyone that was missing from TL1. Unfortunately I'm not drawn to any of the characters yet. That may change once I get my hands on the game, but the art doesn't do it for me.

    @ Straw Fellow - If I played that way, the pet would be perfect. But I want to maximize my Fame gain so I grind those quests as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete