Friday, January 6, 2012

Watched Lately: Sherlock

  • My wife and I missed the first series of Sherlock when it was broadcast over a year, so we had to catch up with the DVD release. We devoured it in a weekend and it has quickly become one of our favorites. So when the opportunity came up to watch the first episode of the new series, we did not hesitate.

  • A Scandal In Belgravia picks up where the first series ended, with the standoff between Holmes and Moriarty. There has been some dismay with how it is resolved, but I didn't have any problem with it. It fits with Moriarty's character very well, I think.

  • But forget about the opening, the best part of this episode was the main antagonist. Lara Pulver as Irene Adler was a perfect match for Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes. She was smart, disarming, and completely enchanting. It is easy to buy that so many would fall under her sway.

  • The entire episode is so funny and so quick. You have to pay close attention because there are many twists and turns. I found myself laughing in glee at several points during the episode. However, the party scene was midway through the show was heartbreaking. Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are again perfect in their roles.

  • The return of Sherlock proves that the first series was not a fluke. This episode may be better than the ones that preceded it. And I can't wait to take in the rest. And then I want the DVD set because I want to watch A Scandal In Belgravia again.


© 2012 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

  1. I have been looking forward to the next installment of Sherlock as well.

    My problem is just figuring out where it is going to run. BBC America's site had a preview, but does not appear to be running it first.

    The Masterpiece No Longer Just a Theater site has it listed as well, and coming soon, and I think it will be on the Masterpiece Mystery version of the show. But my DVR listings do not distinguish between the flavors of Masterpiece, so I'll just have it record everything it can find.

    I was going to want to record the second season of Downton Abby in any case, and I can always just delete Miss Bloody Marple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I have only seen the first series, but it's a great show. Bought it for my mother and stepfather on DVD and they really dug it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you able to view the second series? I'm with Wilhelm in that BBC America is useless and Masterpiece isn't definite.

    Loved the first BBC Sherlock and am dying for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the second episode of the second series, and for me it was less stunning than s2e1 but still quite good and quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Wilhelm Arcturus - The lack of any concrete plan has me completely frustrated. Thus our end around the traditional broadcast. I really want to watch Downton Abbey, but it needs too much attention to watch with the baby.

    @ Yeebo - That DVD set is the perfect gift. :)

    @ Castamere - We have our ways. :) It should be widely available soon, so hold on. It will be worth it!

    @ Hunter - I agree. But any Sherlock is better than most other programs.

    ReplyDelete