Thursday, June 28, 2012

Played Lately: Mass Effect 3

  • After failing to play Tuesday night, I finally reload Mass Effect 3 last night. Since I wasn't aware of all the changes, I picked my last save point and charged into the game's final moments. (Actually, it crashed once and I had to try again, but this is not that story.) I'll try not to be too spoilery here, talking in code to those who know what I mean.

  • Some people, I suspect, will do everything the same just to see how their original ending would look different with the DLC. That's not me. I used this opportunity to fix some of the mistakes of my prior play through. For instance, I saved a certain somebody that I hadn't before. And when the time came, I chose a different path into the ending (blue instead of green).

  • At first, I wasn't sure much had changed during the final conversation. But the dialogue choices really were more fleshed out than before. By the time I was done talking, I actually knew how to make a proper choice. When I played the original ending, I was so bereft that I made the choice of least resistance. This time, with the knowledge I had gain since, I was able to make the choice that fit my play style correctly.

  • The cutscenes showing the extended resolution of the battle actually had me choked up. I almost couldn't believe what I was watching. Then came what I now refer to as the epilogue. The explanation of where the universe ended up after the battle was interesting at best. It did go on too long and I might have wished that the still images were more painterly if they weren't going to render them in the engine, but these are small nitpicks. By the time I turned it off (well before the end credits finished) I was satisfied with my new ending.

  • Afterward, I watched the other endings on Youtube and each one feels unique and valid, even the new fourth ending. While it is strongly hinted that there is a correct ending, I couldn't bring myself to choose it again. In all, the ending feels like a great compromise. It may not have been the climax I was hoping for, but it wasn't the punch in the gut I felt before. I no longer feel burned.

© 2012 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Bioware succeeded in their goal. Great spoiler free post :-) This kind of makes me want to get back in to Mass Effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I'm glad you're feeling better about the game now. I haven't actually gotten a change to play the DLC yet, hopefully I will soon.

    ReplyDelete