- Kotaku and PC Gamer have released lists of all of the games we are expecting in 2013. Let's look at a few that I'm curious about and predict how I'll react to them. (I'm saving MMOs for a separate post since this is ostensibly an MMO blog.)
- South Park: The Stick of Truth - I really don't know what to expect from this game. I know that I like South Park. I like RPGs. And I like Obsidian from an intellectual point of view. The problem is that this will probably be a huge failure and I will be super sad about the whole thing. But maybe it will be good.
Prediction: I will forget to buy this until it's been out a week, but I'll finish it (because it's short) and like the story and humor quite a bit. Also, I'll play a female character just because I can. If I can.
- Grand Theft Auto V - I have a weird relationship with the GTA games. I like them up to a point, then I run aground on some terrible mission and can finish. I'm hoping someone at Rockstar saw what Volition did with Saints Row The Third because that game was amazing.
Prediction: GTA V will be a week one purchase, though I'll look long and hard at the special edition before passing on it. I will play it a lot, but I fear I'll hang it up before finishing. Again.
- Tomb Raider - I don't even know what to think about this! I like Tomb Raider. At least, I've liked a couple of Tomb Raiders. This looks like it could be really good. And it looks like it could be completely gross. How am I supposed to know? Oh right, this is the Internet. Nevermind.
Prediction: After reading reviews and hearing about it on the Bombcast, I won't even pick it up.
- BioShock Infinite - I've started to come around on this game for one reason only: Elizabeth. I actually interested to see whether this AI character is as impressive as they want us to believe. If she is, I think I could be hooked.
Prediction: I won't pick up Infinite until there is a price drop. I'll play it for a little while before getting bored and moving on to the next shiny thing.
- Gone Home - Not sure what Gone Home is? Look. LOOK! I'm super excited to see how this game ends up. An indie suburban exploration game? Sign me up.
Prediction: Will preorder abd play for a few nights before beating it. Expect one blog post and a place in my Top Five this year.
- Next Xbox - This is the big one. And a bit of a cheat since it's not really a game. But if I want to make a prediction, this is the place. There is no way that Microsoft holds off for another year before releasing their next console. The signs and portents are there. The stars are aligned. It has been several years since the last generation kicked off and I'm excited that there will be something to be excited about again. One way or the other, it will be fun to talk about.
Prediction: I'm currently planning to preorder and pick it up at launch. I'll probably only get a single game at first, but then own three or four by the end of the first month. My launch date predication: November 14, 2013!
- What games are you looking forward to in the new year?
© 2013 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.