- According to Kotaku, one of the old guard of MMO development is being closed by EA. Mythic Entertainment, best know for Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. Of course, they are also known for the terrible Ultima Forever and Dungeon Keeper mobile games, so maybe it is not a great loss.
- This quote received by Kotaku is particularly telling:
- To EA, Mythic is just another mobile developer to be folded into their other studions. Amazing.
- There is no way a game developer can go out on top. Every good company is destined to fade out, far from their best achievements. At one time, DAOC was a contender for the MMO crown. At least until World of Warcraft swept all competitors from the field. I hope they will be remembered for what they built, and for where they faltered.
- And definitely not for "Bears, bears, bears."
We are closing the EA Mythic location in Fairfax, Virginia, as we concentrate mobile development in our other studio locations. We are working with all impacted employees to provide assistance in finding new opportunities, either within EA or with other companies via an upcoming job fair.
© 2014 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.