Friday, June 29, 2012

Random Shots: Gone Over To The Dark Side

  • I long resisted owning a cell phone. I don't like talking on the phone (especially since that's what I do for a living), so I didn't want to carry one around with me. But to insure my wife had phone access in the case of an emergency, I broke down and we ended up with a pair of Nokia flip phones. I didn't carry it with me (it stayed in my messenger bag most of the time), but it paved the way for the switch two years ago to the Android-based HTC Incredible. I really enjoyed that phone. But as our contract period came to an end, it was a hard decision as to what to buy next.

  • Last weekend, my wife and I switched to the iPhone 4S.

  • It was not an easy decision, though it would have been much harder it the Samsung Galaxy S III was in stock at the time. But when it came time to choose, it broke down into two reasons to switch:

    1. Curiousity - After using an Android phone for a couple years, I was damned curious to see what everyone was raving about. With all the hype, I had to know for myself if it was worth it.

    2. The App Store - More concrete though, I wanted to see it the Apple App Store, and more specifically the games, were all it was cracked up to be. After seeing game after game announced for iOS, with maybe an Android point somewhere down the line, my frustration had grown exponentially.

  • So far, I've been happy with my choice. The 4S is a sleek little device. It has taken a little getting used to. I've come to respect the openness of the Android system more than I had before. But, the games! I've already found several and I'm combing the review sites for ones that I've missed.

  • Now if someone will point me to the black turtleneck section, I'll get on with enjoying my new phone.

© 2012 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I remember when you first talked about getting your HTC Droid Incredible my contract was just about coming up (and I ended up getting the Incredible too). Sure enough, after reading this I checked my account, and hey I'm eligible for a new contract and upgrade too!

    Having loved my first experience with android, I think I'm going to stick with it. The upcoming Samsung Galaxy S3 looks sexy so I might go with that one. I already have an iPad and iPod touch, so an iPhone would sort of be redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held out on getting a cell phone for ages. The whole idea of someone being able to reach me 24-7 sounded awful. Two days after I got one, I couldn't imagine not having one. The whole idea that the same thing that you use to call people also stores all your numbers, does your messaging, and IDs all incoming calls is f-ing brilliant. One fixed price phone bill a month is even better.

    I'm still holding off on a smart phone...

    ReplyDelete