Saturday, July 1, 2017

Theme Parking: The More Things Change - Disney Further Tinkers With Pirates

  • When I opened Twitter after work Thursday, my first reaction was a deep sigh. Disney announced changes coming to its Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disneyland Paris, some of which would be making their way to the rides in Disneyland and Walt Disney World. At first, I only noted the title referring to the Paris park. It wasn't until I reread the article that I fully comprehended their intentions for the American parks.
  • It's hard not to feel jaded about more changes to Pirates. I have a draft post about my feelings on the ride that I'll get around to finishing some day. But to summarize, Disney has found it necessary to tinker with the ride with some regularity ever since 1996, starting with the chase scene. Then after the release of the Pirates movie, they could not move fast enough to jam Captain Jack Sparrow into a ride that didn't need him. At every turn, Disney damages Pirates in the attempt to improve it.

  • The auction scene is one of the most iconic in the ride. The Auctioneer is probably the best animatronic in the the park. And let's not forget mystique of the Redhead. (Another draft post I really need to get to.) Like the change with the chase scene that follows, Disney wants to purge the scene of its regressive themes. But based on their track record, it's hard to trust them to get it right, no matter how many times they trot out the hoary old "Disneyland will never be completed" quote.
  • In reality, it is the movie related changes that committed the most violence to the ride. The story of the ride is all but incoherent now. Not that the original ride was perfect with the discordance between the villainy of the pirates against their happy-go-lucky "A Pirate's Life For Me". But whatever themes existed before have been entirely contracted by focusing on the treasure seeking adventure of Captain Jack Sparrow instead of the doomed pirates singing their way to the grave. To be fair, it was around this time that the music was added to the grotto, dramatically improving the atmosphere. So not all is lost.

  • Although I was initially hesitant, I will always second-guess my opinions when I find myself on the same side as the reactionaries. But my nostalgia for the auction was mostly challenged when my wife admitted that she never cared for the scene. Maybe some good can come of this change. Disney may not have my trust, but they have my best wishes for their success.

2 comments:

  1. That's kind of a bummer. I feel a bit conflicted because on one had I understand making changes to be less offensive, but on the other these rides are not influencing me or my kids view of the world.

    In the end I'll be fine as long as the ride is still fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most important part is that they don't mess it up. If they actually improve on the scene, a lot can be forgiven.

      Also, hopefully not put another Johnny Depp in the scene.

      Delete