- After the Mass Effect 3 fiasco, I've had a terrible time getting back into video games. All I can bring myself to play is Solitaire Blitz and Zuma Blitz. Not to knock Popcap because they make addicting games. And their Energy system for means that I don't binge on them for too long. But that's not real gaming.
- I did try SSX again the other night. The World Tour mode is just about the worst experience. I fail and fail at each run several times, get constantly reminded that I can chicken out and skip the event if its too hard, before finally just getting to the end, only to move on to the next peak before I have a chance to master the current one. If it weren't for the unlockables, I would probably skip this mode entirely. As it is, I'm wondering if how long it would take to purposefully skip my way to the end of the mode.
- I also downloaded Skullgirls based on all of the talk going on around that game. I watched videos of fights. I even spent time reading move lists at Shoryuken. Upon starting up the tutorial, I immediately knew I was in over my head. The game certainly tells you what you should be doing and even explains why. But I can't get my fingers to reliable reproduce the moves it asks for. On a lark, I tried out the story mode on what they refer to as Sleepwalk difficulty. That's Very Easy to you and me. This was not very easy. And it definitely was not a sleepwalk. I could not even beat the first fight.
- While I flounder around, trying to figure out what to play, any number of games pile up in my backlog. Why haven't I gone back to Psychonauts? Panzer Corps has gone unplayed for too long. And I never gave Unity of Command a fair try. Everyone has been talking up Legend of Grimrock for a few days now, but I can't justify the purchase with all of these other games that I could be playing. And that doesn't even take into account any MMOs, free-to-play or subscription, that I want to revisit.
- There will be a time when I fall back into the arms a game that I will obsess over. Unfortunately, that is not today.
© 2012 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.
Dude, do not give up on Psychonauts. There are three levels in that game that I rank among the most astounding and clever experiences I have ever had in a game. From what I've read you haven't gotten to any of them. Regardless of the fact that summer camp craps out sooner than it should, to go to your grave without experiencing some of the mid to late game levels would be an utter tragedy.ReplyDelete
It would be like going to the Louvre and saying "ahh fuck it" and leaving one room away from the Mona Lisa.
I'm not giving up on Psychonauts yet. I just have to find the time....Delete
Glad to hear it. Apologies if I came off a bit rabid in my initial response :-)Delete