Thursday, June 23, 2022

Watched Lately: Skeleton Knight in Another World

  • I didn't mean for this to become the anime blog, but I guess we play with the hand we're dealt. And my hand includes the most aggressively mediocre show that I have watched in I do not know how long.

  • Like, I don't even know why I did it. I bounced off of Aharen-san wa Hakarenai after just one interminable episode. I gave up on The Executioner and Her Way of Life and Trapped in a Dating Sim after just a few episodes each, once I realized I didn't actually care what happened to the characters. But for some reason, I just kept watching Skeleton Knight in Another World even though it's not a very good show. It's barely a passable show, but I kept watching.

  • Skeleton Knight stars your standard overpowered isekai protagonist, Arc, who wakes up one day as his character in his favorite MMO. Only, his character was using a transmog to appear as a skeleton, which has carried over to this new world! Of course, none of that matters outside of a few gags. If you removed the skeleton conceit, it would have no effect on the story.

  • Not that the plot is any better. Arc quickly discovers that slavery is common in this new world and finds himself helping those in need of protection. He ends up assisting an elf warrior and a beast girl ninja in freeing various captives and striking down their captors, not out of any sense of justice, but because it's the cool thing to do. As I type this, I come to realize that this my largest issue with the series. It presents this world as full of injustice, but the protagonist could not care less. His companions may provide direction, but he's just a tool, in every sense of the word.

  • Don't be a tool. Don't watch this anime.

  • Rating: 1 1/2 stars

2 comments:

  1. It is so hard to find good anime. The problem with it is that pretty much all of them look potentially interesting from the teasers and the art. With live action TV shows, I can screen 90% of them just based on genre. With anime, 90% of the shows on Netflix are ostensibly in my general wheelhouse, and it all comes down to execution. Probably three out of four shows I try I stall out by episode two or three, and it's a rare show indeed that I make through more than one season.

    In any case, thanks for the warning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening song, I enjoyed though.

    I also enjoy the fact that it's a cover singer who gets into the anisong industry with his first animesong. :D

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccRutxWkyVI

    ReplyDelete