- I'm sure you've seen the news by now; it's everywhere. Warhammer Online is now selling a pack to grant each of your characters a single level for ten dollars. I am speechless.
- Darren from Common Sense Gamer and the Shut Up We're Talking podcast calls this the third rail of microtransactions: directly paying money for power. It is the MMO Rubicon. Once they cross this point, there is no turning back.
- We told ourselves for a long time that we would be okay with microtransactions as long as they are for cosmetic or luxury items that don't impact the game. Then we conceded that it would be okay to for them to sell content in small chunks because we're already used to paying for it by the expansion; these would just be little expansions. Then we were bought into buying items that would help up advance, just as long as they don't do the advancement for us.
- But this is it. Even if it's limited to a single level for now, we have reached the point where you will be able to buy your way through the game. It will come and it will be soon.
- This is not meant to be doom and gloom. It's a call to arms. We've given up a lot of ground in the subscription vs. microtransaction battle because we've seen the benefits of each. But I think this is too far. I think it violates the principles of fairness that we expect in these games and I do not want to participate in it.
- If for some reason you haven't read them, check the articles by Ardwulf, Ravious and Darren (linked above) as well as the articles they link to for more commentary and insight.
© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.