Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Random Shots: Complete and Utter Failure

  • Although I'm not throwing in the towel yet, the bookies are already setting stupidly long odds on my completing the goal for NaNoWriMo. This should not be surprising to anyone, least of all me. Since I've already written a book of similar length that took me eight months to complete, 50,000 words in 30 days is the very definition of a pipe dream.

  • There are two things working against me in this. First is that writing, as much as I enjoy it, is very much work to me. When I sit down at a keyboard to write, it feels like I'm tacking sentences together, one agonizing word at a time. Sometimes a particularly nice phrase will just slip out. But usually I'm fighting to get all them words to line up right. When I was really writing, my goal was 600 words a day. On a bad day I'd usually get 300; on a good day I could do 1200, sometimes more. Consistantly hitting 1667 words a day (and being happy with those words) is pretty much beyond me.

  • The second thing against me is World of Warcraft. I just can't stop playing the game. Hmm. I keep trying to say that this doesn't mean I'm addicted, but all my denials come off as me being in denial. So either I'm not addicted to WoW, and you can just accept that or I am, in which case who cares.

  • Either way, this novel sprinting business was a fun lark, but the high is over and I'll just have to finish at my own pace.

  • P.S. Stand strong, WGA.

No comments:

Post a Comment