- One of the best games of all time, X-Com, is making a comeback as XCom. 2K Marin, the studio that recently developed Bioshock 2, has announced that they are taking over the franchise. And, of course, it'll be a first person shooter.
- . . .
- Deep breaths, Anjin. You can do this.
- Okay, let's just get this out of the way. I know that first person shooters are popular. Modern Warfare and Halo sell eleventy billlion copies because people really like to shoot one another. But there are other first person shooters that aren't all about shooting, like the afore mentioned Bioshock and Mirror's Edge. Bethesda even did what they do by first person shootering Fallout 3, a game I wanted to love, but can't.
- This is not me worrying that 2K Marin is going to break the franchise. That happened years ago starting with Terror From The Deep and only getting worse from there. It's just that I don't have much faith in most ability for games to be modernized into anything resembling the original.
- But come on, FBI agent? /sigh
- Here is the paragraph where I try to be positive. These guys know how to make a good game. If XCom can tell a Bioshock quality story, but about an alien invasion, I'll be happy to give it a try. Don't disappoint me, guys.
© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.