Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Random Shots: No Surprises

  • It has been a long, weird day today. It's the first day of a sort-of vacation (I was told to take the time off or I would lose it). So I've got four days to see if I can't get a few things done and not just play my Xbox all day.

  • I was greeted this morning to the news that Champions Online has gone with a tiered pay model. Normally I would consider CO my beat, but what more is there to say that hasn't been covered by so many already? If you are interested check out the posts from Ardwulf, MMOGamerChick, Blue Kae, and Green Armadillo.

  • Before I got started on errands, I spent a couple hours playing through the second act of Double Fine Productions' Costume Quest. Damn this game is cute. And fun. I'm trying not to burn through it all at once, but it hard to put down at times. I actually played an hour longer this morning than I intended.

  • One of the errands I wanted to run this morning was to pick up Greg Rucka's new book, The Last Run. I have been a huge fan of his Queen & Country, both in comic and novel form, and I was excited to get a new addition to the series. Only neither of the big book bookstores in town got the novel in today. I remember having similar trouble tracking down the prior book, Private Wars. At least, I remember now that I'm going through it all over again. The silver lining to all this is that Rucka is stopping by the Mystery Bookstore in Westwood on November 6 as part of his mini book tour. I suppose I can hold out until then to pick up the novel. Anyway, I still have to finish Mogworld before I worry about another book.

  • I've been spending a lot of time lately, though not today (yet), with Borderlands. I had enjoyed it previously on the PC, but my current backup graphics card just won't let me play the game acceptably. So when the GOTY edition was announced, I picked up a copy for 360. I've already, in the few days I've had it, gotten much farther than I ever did in the PC version. I'm looking forward to seeing the end of the game and playing through all the DLC. And shooting dudes. I'm looking forward to shooting a lot of dudes. Hopefully in the face.

5 comments:

  1. Wait, why are you trying to get things done instead of playing Xbox all day? Fable 3 just came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borderlands is a great game. I finished it first on Xbox then after that died I purchased the PC version, cause I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the CO announcement, the one thing that worries me is that silvers will never be able to use custom builds. That means they will lose out on one of the best things about the game (building unique characters) and will also forever be weaker than a gold member on a really tweaked out min/ maxed build.

    I really dug Borderlands as well. haven't been through all the DLC yet, but Zombie Island of Dr. Ned was certainly excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing Yeebo, but beyond free adventure packs there's not a lot of ways to motivate players to subscribe, since all of the zones/missions are open for Silvers.

    I did see on the forums that they're going to have separate PvP queues for Archetypes and Customs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Blue Kae - I'm not playing Fable 3 until I finish Fable 2. And I'll finish Fable 2.... sometime.

    @ Jayedub - We seem to be having opposite problems then. I'm having trouble playing some things on my PC, so I'm preferring my Xbox again. Oy.

    @ Yeebo - That does make the silver account less attractive, but I guess it comes down to how well the archetypes are built. I'm looking forward to trying them out and seeing how well Cryptic does. Hopefully they do interact with the community to come up with some interesting builds.

    And I agree, Dr. Ned was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete