- Discovered via Kotaku, we get the awesome news that Runic Games is releasing a new game, Torchlight II. I'm having trouble deciding if this is good news or the best news. I wouldn't even care if this launched the same day as Diablo III. I'd still buy it.
- I played the heck out of Torchlight when it came out, getting all the way through to the end. But after a harddrive wipe destroyed my save game (long before Steam Cloud support went in), I've only dabbled in the game when the mood strikes. Nevertheless, I loved the look and feel of the game. I enjoyed shooting dudes and taking their loot. And the loot was a lot of fun. I admit to enjoying playing dress up with my vanquisher.
- From reading about the game, it sounds like TL2 will do the same thing for Torchlight as Diablo II did for its predecessor. They're adding cooperative play, new character classes, an open world to explore, and a lot more. It all sounds like what they were holding over for the MMO but now released in a standalone product.
- That leaves the question open as: what about the MMO? TL2 looks like an extra iterative step toward that product. And I feel exceptionally lucky that they're using that work to release another game.
- PC Gamer already has an interview and some concept art up that are worth a look.
© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.