Thursday, August 2, 2012

Played Lately: Rift

  • About a week back, I cancelled my subscription for Rift. I think it has a few days left, but I'm not sure I have anything to accomplish in that time. I resubbed two months ago when Trion's first expansion, Storm Legion was launched announced. (Edit: Thanks, Anon.)

  • I didn't want to move any of my characters off of their current server, so I rolled a new cleric on a new server. I quickly played through the tutorial, marveled about the changes, charged into the first zone, and did a little fishing. Unfortunately, after a while, I just stopped. And now I need to stop paying for it if I'm not going to play.

  • Upon reflection, I want to like Rift more than I actually do. I think it has a lot going for it. I love that the game continues to receive substantial updates. I have a lot of respect for what Scott Hartsman and the team at Trion have done and continue to do for the game. It's just not for me.

  • I hope it's for someone, though, because I really want them to succeed.

© 2012 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

  1. I like the mechanics of Rift a lot (the soul system, the GFX engine, Rifts, even the crafting). However, I find the setting so generic and the quest text so pedestrian that the game has no "stickiness" for me at all. I never care about what I'm doing or any of the NPCs I meet.

    It's hard to put my finger on what exactly is a lacking for me, all I can really say is that the game fails to resonate with me despite how mechanically polished it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There is a lot to like about the game. As I'm sure other bloggers have said before, it feels like it is lacking a soul.

      Delete
  2. Uh...Storm Legion hasn't launched yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the catch. Can't believe I blew that.

      Delete
  3. I've recently started playing Rift, and I can't believe I didn't like the game before. I've been really enjoying myself thus far.

    I did the same thing with TOR; I had hardly played much in a two month span so I canceled my sub to take a month off to see if I was going to stick with TERA.

    ReplyDelete