Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Played Lately: Diablo III

  • Let me describe last night for you.

  • Surprise - Randomly remember that I could preinstall the game. Let the installer run while I eat dinner with my family and play outside with my baby girl.

  • Anticipation - After watching an episode of Smash and eating ice cream with my beautiful wife, settle in front of my computer to watch Arthur Gies from Polygon prepare his livestream. Watch the opening cinematic. The log in screen floats in the background, taunting.

  • It Doesn't Effing Work - Error 27 (x 100), actually authenticate and get to the character creator, character creator fails to actually create a character, accidently log out, Error 27 (x 500) mixed with the occasional Error 300008, log in again, accidentally log off again, swear quiet enough not to wake the wife and baby.

  • Catharsis - Finally log in for real. The character I tried to make before I was logged out before is there even though the game told me it failed. Try to delete character and start over, but fail again. Play anyway.

  • Twist Ending - Computer crashes.

  • So, Diablo III is okay, I guess.


© 2012 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch! I've heard that their servers are being overwhelmed currently. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

    I personally am sitting DIII out for the time being. Even if I wanted to fit it into my play schedule, I'm leaving town for two weeks soon so it would be pretty pointless for me to get it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like a new MMO, it's probably better to give this time to work out the kinks before you jump in. Two weeks should be plenty of time for the servers to balance out.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I know how you feel. I think the real winner in all of this is Torchlight 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how playing D3 has made me want to play Torchlight 2 even more.

      Delete
    2. Imagine it T2 was actually released at the same time. Endless PR possibilities.

      Delete